In the nineteenth century, the small fisherman’s village of Leça da Palmeira was one of the favourite seaside resorts of the English colony in Porto (Oporto in English). While certain distinguished members of Porto’s high society, otherwise known as the ‘Port-wine aristocracy’, rented houses for the holiday season, others decided to move to Leça permanently. Many wished to escape the overcrowding and pollution associated with Porto’s relatively late industrial boom. Situated at the mouth of the River Leça, the British enjoyed Leça da Palmeira because it was remote but, at the same time, only a short distance from the city centre (which enabled businessmen to commute).
|Title of host publication||Restaurants and Dining Rooms|
|Editors||Franziska Bollerey, Christoph Grafe|
|Place of Publication||London and New York|
|Publisher||Routledge - Taylor & Francis Group|
|Number of pages||7|
|Publication status||Published - 2019|
Mota, N. (2019). Boa Nova Teahouse and Restaurant Leça da Palmeira, Matosinhos, Portugal 1958–1963: Architect: Alvaro Siza. In F. Bollerey, & C. Grafe (Eds.), Restaurants and Dining Rooms (pp. 281-287). (Interior Architecture). Routledge - Taylor & Francis Group. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203013656