PST-17 Benchmark Power System DSL-Based Model with 90% Power Electronic Interfaced Generation with Black-Start and Grid Restoration Capabilities in DIgSILENT PowerFactory

Leonel Noris, José Luis Rueda Torres, E. Rakhshani, Abdul W. Korai

Research output: Chapter in Book/Conference proceedings/Edited volumeChapterScientificpeer-review

Abstract

In this chapter, an integral approach for Grid-Forming and Black-Start capability of a large-scale interconnected Power System model is developed. This chapter introduces a model for Electro-Magnetic Transients (EMT) simulations, where a three-area power system is presented, containing different devices interfaced to the transmission network via voltage-source converters (VSC); seventeen wind power plants (WPP), seven battery-energy storage systems (BESS), and two HVDC transmission links. Of the total energy produced in this model, 90% is generated by the WPP and the other 10% by conventional generation units (CGU). The control systems that regulate the WPP and the HVDC stations were upgraded with Grid-Forming capability. Therefore, the power system model is suitable for simulations during both steady-state and transient operational scenarios. If the latter case may derive in a Blackout, it allows simulating Black-Start and Restoration strategies. The proposed grid-forming and black-start capabilities were tested with various EMT simulations reproducing severe short-circuit faults, deriving in a full blackout in one of the areas of the power system. The model also was upgraded with five protection relays with a restoration algorithm that determines the best re-energisation path for the fastest possible restoration strategy. The simulation results demonstrate that a power system with high penetration of converter-based generation and transmission is completely capable of managing a grid during all circumstances if its control systems are designed to do so, without encountering the problems arising from current injection control.

Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationPower Systems
PublisherSpringer
Pages285-327
Number of pages43
ISBN (Electronic)978-3-030-54124-8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2021

Publication series

NamePower Systems
ISSN (Print)1612-1287
ISSN (Electronic)1860-4676

Keywords

  • Battery-energy storage systems (BESS)
  • Critical-time method
  • DIgSILENT EMT simulation
  • DIgSILENT simulation language (DSL) programming
  • Grid-forming capability
  • HVDC control
  • Renewable generation unit (RGU)
  • Soft-energisation method
  • Wind turbine control

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'PST-17 Benchmark Power System DSL-Based Model with 90% Power Electronic Interfaced Generation with Black-Start and Grid Restoration Capabilities in DIgSILENT PowerFactory'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this